Saturday, April 23, 2016

Dewey Day Post #2: 12:00PM(AST) Break and Meme/Challenge Catch-Up

Woohoo! Three hours down, 19hrs to go.  :)  Making no promises on how it will go today but loving it so far.  Especially like taking these little mini-breaks to keep brain from tiring out.  I'm old, you know.  So this break is to catch up on challenges and watch The 100.

Hour 4 Mini-Challenge
Find the perfect road trip song for you and your traveling companion to rock out to as you burn through the miles, and tell us why it's such a great fit for this character.

Eminem - Till I Collapse
For the character Keita from The Illegal by Lawrence Hill
Keita is a marathon runner, running from the authorities in his old country, from the man who sponsored his escape, from the authorities who want to deport him from his new country.  Running in marathons for prize money to help his family.  He is not in good shape but he keeps running, despite the pain.  This song isn't a strong energized type, just an insistent, just keep going song.

I have a third of the book left to complete but I want Keita to come out on top so bad by the end. Recommend this book to everyone!


Hour 3 Mini-Challenge

Make a five word story on the theme of books. 


Dewey's making me finish books.

(I have started and abandoned books that I mean to get back to.  Hopefully I'll get to finish one or two of those today.)


TOP 5 BOOKISH CHILDHOOD MOMENTS with the PEOPLE and the BOOKS that made them so special!

1) Mom and My Golden Book Collection.  My mom was great at having the patience in reading to me every book I dragged to her.  She'd even keep reading aloud when my three year old attention span got distracted.  She says that my asking her to read those books improved her reading and helped her develop her own love of reading.

I loved the book, I loved the movie.  It was even my hiding place when I needed to tuck notes/money/tickets away for safekeeping.

3) Charlotte's Web by EB White
Like the challenger said, no notes required.

4) The teen years.  This is when the love of reading really took off.  Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High, Fear Street and Christopher Pike books, 

5) Carrie by Stephen King
My folks were great for buying books for me but I think they were getting tired of paying for books that only lasted about a day.  (Thinking back, hey really should have introduced me to the library.)  So it was an easy sell to convince them to sponsor thicker books that lasted me a little longer.  Carrie and Misery was my intro to adult books and my springboard to a lifelong love of the work of Stephen King.  

Go Dewey readers, go!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What great memories, thank you for sharing! So pleased to hear that your mother indulged you in your reading habit, that's good parenting :-). All good selections, and thanks for taking the time to do the mini-challenge. Hope you enjoyed the 'thon!